Pray For Lucy

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Good the Bad and The Ugly

Ok so i have a lot on my mind and well i debated on wether or not to blog about it and then i figured this is what my blog is for so here goes. I am feeling overwhelmed with my photography ventures right now! I am even debating on calling it quits all together. From the beginning it was strictly something I loved and then friends began to enjoy my work and then I was asked to photo friends babies etc and well as you can see the rest in sorta history. I have really enjoyed getting to meet new people and share what people call "my talent" with others and everything that being a photographer has to offer.....UNTIL this week! So not once but twice this week i have been made to feel like my best isnt good enough. Not as in my finished product but just with scheduling. I understand that I am not a professional photographer (i have NEVER claimed to be) but that doesnt mean i dont have a life! I mean if I were to call up a photographer today to schedule an appontment i would be lucky if it was in the same month let alone the same week BUT apparently i am suppose to make that happen. I dont think people understand i have a 15 month old child at home and no form of childcare. As it is now i do shoots when i get off work on sat and mon mornings (mind you i have just worked 12 hours overnight) along with trying ot find people to watch Will so i can do shoots during the week so I am sorry if you call on friday and i cant get you in by the next tuesday. UGH I just want to SCREAM!!!!!!! Ok so after getting that all out i am feeling a little better. I know quitting what i love to do would be stupid so i doubt i will take it to that extreme but i do think I am about to make some changes. I dont do it for a profit the little i do charge basically goes right back into the equipment. So i guess this post was to get some suggestions from my friends out there. I am thinking about doing 3 shoots a week thats it! I could let Will go to an extra day at MDO. Trying to do shoots everyday makes me feel like I am always away from Will so this would make it only one day not 7 haha! I am also thinking about booking 2 weeks out so i dont run into this stress of not being accomodating enough. Does that seem reasonable? I want peoples honest opinion. I love taking pictures and i dont want to stop but the madness has to end and this is the only way i can think to fix the problem. SOOOOO if anyone even read this thank you for taking the time to let me vent and please leave me any suggestions. This is all new to me and I just want to keep my sanity! On the GOOD note i did have lots of GREAT shoots last week and I cant wait to edit the pics bc they are gonna be awesome!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl...get a calendar, mark of your appointment times, and only schedule appointments for the times you block off. Clients might have to wait a while...but like you said, if they are after your talants and the prices you charge...then they should be accomidating! You don't need to turn something you LOVE in to something you HATE....it's not worth it. Hope this helps! Can't wait to go to the lake!!!! Only one more day!

the harrison family said...

I couldn't agree more with the previous comment. you are so good at what you do, and i hate that you're feeling discouraged right now. But like you said, i think it is an unrealistic expectation to call someone and assume that they can do your pictures that week. so, schedule your photo times and let your clients work around your schedule. after all, you're a mom too.

Our Volunteer Family said...

I agree with Ashley. You set the times and the days - and the people will have to book in advance. It is only fair to you and Will. And waiting isn't a big deal - I just booked Jack's 1 year photos in July for January!